Note: I can think of way more than 11 similarities, but for the sake of your attention span, I prioritized the less expected ones. (Portions of this list were previously published here.)
11 Unexpected Ways Living With Dogs is Like Living With Babies
1. A formed BM (after a sustained period of "unformed" BMs, aka horrible, explosive sh^t that necessitates a bath/shower/laundry/or infected item(s) thrown - using tongs and rubber gloves - in the outside garbage) is cause for loud celebration.
(Because one hasn't fully experienced parenthood until needing to cut the infected onesie off one's baby, or throw Fluffy's entire L.L. Bean (for example) dog bed in the trash.)
|Soft, warm pretzel, anyone?|
2. Leaving the house with either (baby or dog) requires one to tote an ample supply of plastic poo receptacles, both of which - when loaded - are like toxic hot potatoes, and must be thrown far, far away, to avoid olfactory assault, dry heaves and perceived ridicule from random passers-by.
|Same sh*#, different butt.|
3. They both eat crayons. Which makes for colorful #2.
4. Sometimes, they need a pacifier to satisfy their oral fixations.
5. Even though the toilet is only 5 feet (or less) away, they throw up on the floor/bed/you.
6. They make accessorizing outfits a breeze.
7. Extended periods of blissful silence, somehow, always end up as nature's way of getting you back for being selfish and inattentive.
8. They enjoy the taste of furniture.
|You know the saying: "Your face will freeze that way!"|
(It won't, but don't tell any dogs or babies, OK?)
|Image courtesy: My Parents|
(yes, it's me; I might not have actually eaten the table,
but I could have.)
9. They like to eat food off the floor. And if you have BOTH dogs and babies (or cats and babies, for that matter), they'll eat EACH OTHER'S food off the floor.
|Source: Bored Panda|
10. For entirely different reasons, you'll want to nibble their feet.
And, lastly (because I can't resist, and I certainly wouldn't want you to think having dogs and/or babies is a bad thing), one AWESOME way living with dogs is like living with babies...
11. Their mega-watt smiles might make you melt into a quivering pile of goo!
The resemblance* is uncanny, don't you think?
* Really? You think 6-month-old me looks like Jon Farleigh? (wink)
Wait! You know what? Living with cats is like living with babies, too. Yeah, they can't keep their clothes/shoes/vital accessories on for 5 minutes!
See what I mean?
Darn cat. ☺
So for anyone else out there who's had experience with both dogs (and/or cats) and babies, got anything to add to the list?